Restoring Our Womanhood

Scrap of Faith is a Christian Crafting Site dedicated to inspiring women in their faith and in their hobbies.

Each month a new theme will be posted, with verses to encourage, with challenges to inspirire you both in your faith and in your craft. We hope that you will jump on board the journey of Restoring your Womanhood and that God will use these challanges to draw us closer to Him and also give us a purpose in our roles.

We would love to hear from those who are following along so please leave a comment, and share a link to your blog :-) Also on the Scrap of Faith forum there is a weekly thread for encouraging each other through the journey.


Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Have you met my friend Pollyanna?

There was a time recently when the wheels seemed to be falling off more than usual and the Lord whispered a little something in my ear …

“What can you be thankful about right now?”

And despite whatever nasty was happening at the time, I was indeed able to think of at least one thing … then another … and so it goes on.

I’d like to think I’m an optimistic person but in reality it seems that my pessimistic side often elbows the optimist right off the radar. I guess it parallels the struggle that Paul talks about in Romans where he describes doing the very things he doesn’t want to do.


What I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Romans 7:19

It isn’t how I want to be and it isn’t what God wants for me either. He wants me to live my life in line with His Word.

So in times of trouble, think on just one thing you can be thankful for. If you’ve ever read the “Pollyanna” series of books by Eleanor H Porter, you might see this as a version of the ‘glad game’ – the game Pollyanna played to find the good in any situation. It was her version of counting your blessings. It drove the pessimists in the story batty – until they tried it themselves and found their lives transformed. And isn’t that a great parallel of life before and after Jesus?

The word ‘Pollyanna’ is still given to people in society today, but it is often used as a way of being derogatory towards their positive outlook – in much the same way as it has become unfashionable to be a ‘do-gooder’. Should we be surprised as Christians that being positive through doing good to others, counting our blessings and being thankful are seen as negatives by the world in general? No, it’s actually a very simple analogy of the battle that continues in the heavenlies today, the battle between good and evil. We just have to choose who to serve.

I for one am happy to stand shoulder to shoulder with Pollyanna – because she was completely in line with God’s word to us. Consider …

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Philippians 4:8

And also
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Romans 12:2a

God warned us that it wouldn’t all be plain sailing in our lives …

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

He wants us to be overcomers. Not pessimists. Not without hope. But overcomers – with Him. And He gives us the tools to achieve it.

The creator of 'Pollyanna’, Mrs Porter, said that "Pollyanna did not pretend that everything was sugar-coated goodness - instead Pollyanna was positively determined to find the good in every situation." It sounds to me as though Mrs Porter created a character who used her free will to choose how she saw the world. We too can choose to put our will in line with God’s in each situation.

So even in the darkest times, we can still choose, like Pollyanna, to find the good, to find one little thing to be thankful for – and when we ponder that, think on it, mull it over, selah, praise the Lord for it – then that is bringing light into the darkness and pointing our spirits in the right direction – connecting us with He who is all light, all hope, all gladness.

Sometimes we just need a push in the right direction.

So today, praise God for the Pollyannas in your life. And choose to be one – for yourself and for others.

Way to go Pollyanna! I say you’re back in style!

Love, Tracey xo

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well I come out of lurkdom to say thank you for this post.

Hope said...

Thank you for this post. It was such a blessing to me this morning. Sometimes I don't even realize how negative I am (sometimes not about everything but about one specific situation) and how much it hurts me and the people around me. And definitely stands in the way of my relationship and my work with the Lord. Blessings today...